The Nature Play Program connects children to nature in cities and strives to nurture place-based ecological literacy. The following are the core tents of Evergreen's children's programs:
- Place-based: building a foundation of knowledge through a focus on local nature, culture, and community
- Ecological: providing children direct contact with nature
- Hands-on: creating a setting for compelling learning through multi-sensory, direct experience and child-led play
- Active and mobile: moving the body to engage the mind
- Arts infused: breathing life into learning through creativity, compelling narratives and arts.